25 August 2011

6 day... break?

First semester is done as of Monday evening, eight semesters to go... Now I'm in the middle of a 6 day "break" but haven't taken much of a break - I'm working every day! It's been a great experience working with Stephen, a 6 year old special needs boy. He's very sweet, and needs almost constant attention.

The grapevines outside my door are providing delicious grapes in abundance:

However, this is not always a good thing... This is what I see outside my door every morning:
I'm not sure whether it's squirrels, chipmunks, or something else that's causing grapes in all degrees of ripeness to end up all over the patio. Many of them are partly or half-eaten, attracting a constant cloud of fruit flies.

Garden update:

My tomatoes have taken a break - there are 4 or 5 green ones on the vine, but I haven't had a ripe one in a couple of weeks, maybe even 3. The plant was nearly getting overshadowed by the marigolds so I rotated the pot 180 degrees this morning.

I have super scraggly lettuce, and there's a tiny mushroom farm on one side of the pot. At least the lettuce still tastes good! I've been using it in sandwiches.

I've pretty much given up on the zucchini. It keeps blooming, but never seems to want to produce any fruit.

I purchased "live basil" in the grocery store a couple weeks ago and decided to plant it when I got home. It's doing well so far, even though I've picked off a bunch of leaves a couple times!

My favorite breakfast - homemade waffles! I make a batch of batter and then keep it in the fridge, it lasts me 3 days.

In other news, I've continued swimming at the Clairmont campus. I think I probably did the slowest 1400 yard workout in the history of swimming today, but it feels good! I ride my bike over there, and every day, I have to clean spider webs off the bike. I tried to take a picture, but it didn't turn out. It's amazing how fast those arachnids get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment