14 December 2011

"geographical identity crisis"

The title of this is borrowed from a friend.  It comes from leaving home (Atlanta) to come home (my parents' home) and then to drive home (Tahoe) but yet not be able to be home (my house here).  All four of those places are home in a way, especially now when I don't feel fixed in any one place.
Anyway, I made it back to California with an unplanned night in Salt Lake City.  Delta Airlines delayed my flight out of Atlanta for an equipment change (but neglected to make sure the passengers all got the word).  En route, we were assured that Salt Lake City had a small airport and there shouldn't be any problem catching our connecting flights.  I rushed through the airport in time to see my plane at the gate with the jetway still attached, but no one in sight in the terminal.  I watched, helpless, for several minutes until the jetway was retracted and the door to the plane shut.  After a couple more minutes with not a single person in sight, I retraced my steps until I found Delta personnel.  They were not very friendly, but gave me minimal instructions to accompany two food vouchers and a hotel room voucher.  I was told that my bag (forced gate checking of my carry-on) was probably on my flight and on its way to San Jose.  The gave me an "overnight kit."  Check this out:
It also included a massive t-shirt.  I checked with Delta baggage and found out that my bag was NOT on the flight but instead was there in Salt Lake City - I'm glad I checked, not only because I now knew my bag would make it to San Jose with me, but at least I had a toothbrush!  Notice that the "overnight kit" included toothpaste - but no toothbrush.
Friday night I got to see Alice's daughters perform in the Christmas program at Community Baptist Church of San Jose.  Her oldest did a phenomenal job playing harp for the prelude and for interludes between the different acts.
 Her middle daughter sang with the kids choir, while both danced in a ballet choreographed by one of the kids, a talented dancer.
Saturday night we went out for a yummy Chinese dinner for Janet's birthday:
Sunday, my dad and I headed up to Tahoe.  On the way, we had In-n-Out for lunch.  There's something you can't find on the east side of this country.
 We checked into the condo so graciously provided by Mrs. Hendrickson.  Pretty snazzy place, recently remodeled and very comfortable.
There is unfortunately no snow, so our plan from months ago of spending our time out skiing and snowboarding has gone to pieces.  Nevertheless, it's been great to be back home in Tahoe and having a chance to catch up with friends.  Monday I got the opportunity to go horseback riding with my good friend Marissa.  The first shot is of four of the horses there - clockwise from top right: Maverick, Scout, Tango, and Little Bit.  They were all looking for treats, and Scout is so close because he wanted to sample my camera after the ride.
It was a fun ride, and I rejoined my dad for a sushi dinner.  I've had sushi once since I got to Atlanta, so that was a great treat.  More coming soon on more time in Tahoe!

1 comment:

  1. What an adventure! Glad you made it back safely!

    ReplyDelete