08 January 2013

winter break

By the afternoon of Boxing Day, the house had cleared out - back to just my parents and me.  Queenie left the previous evening to head to a Christmas party with friends.  Elizabeth woke up with a fever and stayed in bed a while longer.  Enzo and Alan played with Enzo's new Lego to pass the time.  After lunch, they all headed off to Santa Cruz.
who is that funny guy in the background?
I spent the next few days visiting friends, organizing and sorting through my belongings, and just relaxing around the house.  On Saturday, Alan returned, and Shannon and Paul brought Elena and Cowboy down to spend the afternoon.  Unfortunately, my mother and her cousin Carol were both under the weather and unable to join our dim sum lunch, although my mom was able to participate in a pleasant time chatting at the house in the afternoon.
cowboy, alan, bupa, me, shannon, paul, elena at joy luck palace
Sunday I visited Chinese Independent Baptist Church in Oakland.  Dave and family led worship, and it was fun to see so many old friends at one time.  Even better, Marj and Hanford were visiting that Sunday as well, since their nephew was getting baptized that afternoon.
only in chinatown: outdoor group exercise - to cantonese opera music!!
susana, dave, isaiah, and caris leading worship
 That evening my dad and I made a big pot of duck green curry - and the Anvicks joined us to eat it.  After dinner we played a long game of Chinese Checkers, Alan and Enzo arrived just after we finished.  It was now Enzo's turn to be sick, so he was put to bed in hopes that rest would cure him.
post chinese checkers: mama, bupa, alan, keith, scott, and janet
The next day we went to the San Jose Children's Discovery Museum.  Although Enzo was still sick, he definitely enjoyed it until he got tired and hungry, and I bet would've spent quite a bit more time there if he had been well.
with papa in the fire truck
playing with soapy water and bubbles
I got myself a new point and shoot camera just after Christmas, and have been playing with it to assess its capabilities.  My parents have some birds that regularly visit, so they made good subjects (MamaCez, you'll have to show these to Emily!).
california towhee eating multigrain rice
the other california towhee (can't tell male from female)
probably a female costa's hummingbird, sticking its tongue out!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ms. Nancy, what a cute hummingbird! I can't tell the difference between a male and female california towhee either. They are supposed to look the same. Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pic of the hummingbird Nancy!! Loved the tongue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. emily - the towhees visit daily, my parents put the rice out for them. one will eat while the other waits, then they switch! there are several hummingbirds in the area, sometimes they fight over the feeders at various houses.

    ReplyDelete