24 October 2012

HONG KONG!

I was fortunate enough to be able to go to Hong Kong over the brief Fall Break this year, and attend my cousin Jonathan's wedding.  It was a bit of a crazy trip - over 40 hours of travel for just over 80 hours there - but VERY much worth it.

I had three exams before I left - a written Neuro Rehab exam Monday, Neuro Rehab practical exam Tuesday, and then Wednesday morning was an exam in Health Services and Management.  Immediately after finishing my third exam, I walked home and got ready to be picked up and taken to the airport.  I got there with more than enough time to spare (thanks, Brian!!) and did some studying (for an exam less than 22 hours after my return!) in the airport as I waited to begin my 21 hour transit from Atlanta to Hong Kong.
airport studying - since i had an exam coming up 22 hours after my return!
My long flight to Tokyo included complimentary seat-back kicking courtesy of the woman behind me - she held her year old son on her lap and didn't try too hard to control him.  After a layover in Tokyo, my flight to Hong Kong was pretty uneventful.  I arrived shortly before midnight Thursday and was honored to be picked up by Jonathan and his fiancee Priscilla.  They whisked me off to Grandma's flat where I took a quick shower and slept very well - the positive side of the relatively miserable flight ATL-NRT.  The next day I woke up quite refreshed, and got to see Alex's wedding video since Uncle Yan and Auntie Val wanted to show it to Grandma and my laptop was the perfect viewing platform.  We went out for dim sum for lunch - #3, #7, me, and Grandma.  After lunch, while Uncle Fred and Uncle Yan headed out to the airport to pick up Janine, Alex, and Jen, and Auntie Yvonne went to her fellowship, Auntie Val and I "shopped" - walked around and chatted as we passed all the shops we could never afford.  We stopped for a drink and a snack at a McDonald's McCafe before heading up the hill to Uncle Fred and Auntie Yvonne's flat.
mccafe teatime with auntie val - us mcdonald's don't have goodies like this!
That night was a dinner at King Ludwig, a German restaurant, where we dined on pork trotters, bangers, sauerkraut, and potatoes.  Attending were #3, the entire #7 family, one member of the #8 family, and me.
alex, jen, auntie val, uncle victor - uncle yan took the photos
auntie yvonne, me, janine, and uncle fred
After dinner we went out to Lan Kwai Fong - I didn't stay long, but headed back for a good night's sleep after a bit of studying.  The next morning, I headed down to Central Piers, Pier 9, to head out on a boat with Jonathan, Priscilla, cousins, and friends.
15 of us boarded this boat to head around to the south side of hk island
this was the view as we started off
The boat parked off a beach at South Bay - right next to Repulse Bay.  We had lunch, swam in the sea, and jumped off the boat.
jonathan jumping off the upper deck
jen, janine, and me in the water
looking off to the beach
looking over toward repulse bay
After we got back into Central, we cleaned up and reconvened at Grandma's for the tea ceremony for Alex and Jen's nuptials.  Grandma hadn't been able to make it to England for their wedding in May, so a tea ceremony was held on this trip.
jen and alex serving tea to grandma
receiving lycee from auntie yvonne and uncle fred
serving tea to auntie val, uncle yan, and janine
Later that evening the festivities celebrating Jonathan and Priscilla began - more on that in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment