17 April 2012

new car and off to savannah!

I got my new car on Wednesday, April 11, thanks to a ride from my good friend "Papa Pete."  It's another Honda CR-V, this time a 2003.  I'm now trying to figure out how to register it in the state of California while remaining on the other side of the country for the next two years.  Anyone got any advice?
happy new car to me...
 Friday was my second final of the semester, two more to go after clinicals.  On Sunday, we had our last regular season intramural games for the volleyball season - the DPT I Women's team lost our first match but still finished the season 3-1, but DPT Blue Co-Rec team finished the season undefeated.  Both teams will be playing in the playoffs this coming week/ weekend.  Immediately after the Co-Rec game, I drove out to Savannah to stay for the next two weeks.  My "new" car got a good workout - a 4 hour drive carrying everything but the kitchen sink.  I didn't want to think too hard when I packed so I brought anything that came to mind!
sunset from a Kroger parking lot somewhere between Atlanta and Macon
I arrived at our apartment at about 9:30 pm.  Aylin and Michelle were already there.  The next morning we all started our rotations at St. Joseph's Hospital.  I'm based on the Neurology floor (7th), Aylin on the Orthopedic floor (6th), and Michelle on the Cardiopulmonary floor (3rd).  My first day in the hospital, I spent a hectic day following my clinical instructor all over the place - we treated 21 patients, mainly on the 7th floor, but also on 5th and 6th.  I mainly just observed what he did, but became more useful as the day went on pushing IV poles, getting supplies, and making sure lines didn't get crossed, kinked, or pulled.
Michelle, Aylin, and I in our fabulous hunter green scrubs.
 Our apartment has had drama, NOT revolving around the residents - starting before I even got there.  There was supposed to be a lockbox on the door with our keys inside since the leasing office is closed on Sundays.  That wasn't there.  Aylin and Michelle dealt with making emergency calls (yes, more than one) to maintenance, and finally got in.  The air conditioning didn't appear to be working, but we thought maybe it just needed time to "warm up."
 Yesterday, when we got back from our first day in the hospital, it was clear that it didn't work at all.  I called maintenance, fully expecting to get a call back the next day - instead, a maintenance guy showed up at the door about 20 minutes later.  After a bunch of fussing around, they ended up shutting off the power completely in the apartment (apparently the fuse was actually dangerous!) and offering to put us up in another apartment.  Of course, none were available, so they went to work and replaced the fuse.  When that didn't solve the problem, they took a closer look at the air conditioner itself.  They figured out the problem but weren't going to be able to fix it until today - they ended up loaning us fans to at least make it bearable.
broken AC solution...
 This morning the clouds were beautiful as I left the apartment:
pretty savannah morning
 Today was much less hectic than yesterday, as my clinical instructor did a 8 new evaluations and two treatments instead of 18 treatments and three new evaluations, so I did more observing at a slightly slower pace.  I did get to direct one patient through her therapeutic exercises, however - so I can say that today I treated my first patient as a "Student Physical Therapist."
 This evening when I got back, the AC wasn't fixed yet.  I temporarily solved that problem by heading down to hang out by the pool with my binder to do a little studying for one of our remaining two finals.  The other two joined me after they got home.  After hanging out enjoying the sunshine and great weather, we headed in to make a "family dinner" of pesto on whole wheat penne pasta with chicken and onions, Texas Toast, and salad.  To top it all off, the AC was working!
Aylin likes dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment