19 October 2015

home sweet home

On June 25, 2014, I moved back into my house in Tahoe. I got much-appreciated help that afternoon emptying the storage in my garage loft from 5 members of Third Place, the college and twenty-somethings group from Sierra Community Church. I wish I had gotten a photo of Matti, Josh, Josh, Kyle, and Noah that day, but I didn't (I know, it's surprising that I missed a photo!).
what a beautiful view as i'm coming home
I took a break and watched the South Tahoe Standup Paddle Wednesday Night Paddle Races and caught the sunset there.
sunset with SUPcross races in the foreground
I spent the next couple of days unpacking, settling in, and starting to study for my PT board exam, and then on June 28, I drove up to Echo Lakes and picked up Jeff, one of my friends from the Emory climbing wall - he'd just finished through-hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail, approximately 210 miles including detours over 16-17 days. The next day, we went shopping at Sports Ltd, where Jeff invested in a climbing rope and quickdraws. He had pre-arranged for his mother to ship his climbing shoes and harness to my house. In the morning we headed out to Luther Spires, using my brand new South Lake Tahoe Climbing book and breaking in Jeff's new gear.
me rappelling down at luther spires
We alternated days hiking and climbing, walking up Taylor Creek to Fallen Leaf Lake, hiking to Lake Winnemucca and summiting Round Top, hiking Twin Peaks and bouldering there as well. 90 Foot Wall, two trips to Bottle Creek Crag, and another foray to Luther Spires rounded out the climbing. We went paddleboarding, walked to Secret Beach for sunset, watched 4th of July fireworks from my friend Lisa's condo on the lake (I stayed there a couple of times when I visited Tahoe on breaks from PT school), and cheered for the US as they played Belgium in World Cup Soccer using my laptop connected to my TV.
fallen leaf lake
somehow found live streaming video of the world cup
waiting for sunset at secret beach
out for a morning paddle
my feet at the top of the hardest outdoor climb i've ever finished (at 90 foot wall)
wildflowers were out on the hike to lake winnemucca, round top in the background
windy at the top of round top
fireworks from lisa's lakefront condo
bouldering at pie shop after hiking twin peaks
jeff lead climbing at luther spires
It was a fun visit, and a good long vacation for Jeff before starting his first full time job after college, moving to St. Louis. And I made sure this Midwest kid (from Wisconsin) experienced In-n-Out burgers before dropping him off at the airport to head for the "real world."
nothing like in-n-out

No comments:

Post a Comment