29 January 2014

wrapping up a month of break

I arrived in Tahoe as planned on New Year's Day, after a leisurely breakfast at Stan and Chrissy's.  The next day I headed to Minden to go have lunch and a ride with Marissa.  I hung out after the ride with Leigh Wayne and helped with few tasks around the ranch before we put the horses in their own corrals for the night.
view from the back of little bit
Saturday morning I caught up with Kelly over a cup of tea - she's a PT at Barton Memorial Hospital that I've known from Sierra Community Church since she was in high school.  I had lunch with Anna and her daughter, reminiscing about our days teaching snowboarding together.  In the afternoon I went back to Minden and helped plant four trees at Leigh Wayne's ranch.  The hope is that the horses won't eat these pine trees so they can grow and provide shade in the summer.  They've chewed up every other type of tree that's been planted there.
pulling stumps and planting trees with the help of some heavy equipment
Sunday afternoon, Bruce, Lauren, and I went to watch the second Hobbit movie.  It was well done - deviates a lot from the book but not too much in a negative way.  I was staying with Bruce and Carmen, their daughter Lauren was home from college on her Christmas break.  Carmen didn't join us because she had to work.

Monday I drove to Gardnerville to reconnect with Erin and Chris.  I met Erin at Sierra Community Church, and became friends with her through rock climbing.  When I first met her, she had just finished PT school at University of the Pacific.  We lost touch for a while, but I recently found her on Facebook.  It turns out she now works in Carson City as well as running a very small hippotherapy practice at her house using their two horses.  We took an enjoyable hike just walking out her door and into the hills.

Tuesday morning, Lauren and I hiked up Twin Peaks for beautiful views.  Because of the limited snow we were able to hike in running shoes and do some scrambling up rocks.  As soon as we got back, I visited with Danielle, another one of my Sierra Community Church friends, and her little baby boy, for lunch.  Then I joined my old boss Rick at Emerald Bay Physical Therapy and we went up to Lower Echo Lake to go ice skating.  It was cold and windy but fun anyway.
me and lauren on top of a big rock
panoramic view from twin peaks
rick and moose - moose was not happy about the ice
panoramic view across lower echo lake
my shadow on the ice
Wednesday morning I got to Sierra shortly after it opened and took a few runs.  Amanda, the former office manager of Emerald Bay Physical Therapy, joined me for a couple runs.  I headed off the hill to pick up Pearl at her office in Folsom for lunch.  After dropping her off to pick up her car at the dealer, I drove down to Walnut Creek.  I hung out briefly at Starbucks before joining Chris and Libby and family for dinner.  I left their place in time to pick up my mother and her carpool mate Caitlin at taiko in Newark and give them a ride home.
me with amanda on grandview chair at sierra
pearl and me after lunch
anne (chris' mom), t, chris, and libby
I only had a couple days left in the Bay Area.  I visited with Steph when G had her dance lesson on Thursday, and then spent Friday afternoon with Alice.  The rest of the time I spent at my parents' place or running last-minute errands.
alice and me
Saturday morning my father dropped me off at the airport and I headed back to Atlanta for my LAST semester of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment