31 March 2013

tucson!

I headed off from Sarah & Vince's place toward Carlsbad, where I met up with Cherie, yet another of "my kids" from Chinese Independent Baptist Church of Oakland.  I briefly met her family before the two of us headed out for lunch and some good time catching up on all those years since we'd last seen each other.
cherie and me at lotus cafe on the pch
After lunch, I continued south to Christine's place in San Diego.  There, I returned JD's longboard and then Christine and I headed down to Pacific Beach to surf a 3-5 foot south swell.  I was fully outfitted with one of Christine's boards and one of JD's old wetsuits and his booties.  I caught a few waves but was unable to fully stand up - got to my feet but wasn't balanced enough to let go with my hands.  Too bad... but it was still a ton of fun!
all smiles to be out on the water
at the left edge of the sun glare is christine riding the wave all the way in
After a delicious fish taco dinner with Christine and family (she decided I needed the COMPLETE San Diego experience), I headed on to the Peterson's house to spend the night and get the stuff I'd left there to take to Tucson with me.  I had the house to myself as they had something come up and left for the weekend. Sunday morning I packed up my car and visited Chinese Evangelical Church of San Diego with Keith, Deanna, and family before taking off on my drive to Tucson.  I got so close to Mexico while in California that my phone actually thought I WAS in Mexico - I got a text message: "Welcome abroad!  To call U.S. dial..." with instructions and rates for everything.  Shortly after I crossed the border into Arizona I took advantage of a "Parking Area" off the side of the freeway.  Not a "Rest Area," not even a "Picnic Area" (they have those, too), but simply parking. Good place to stretch my legs.
looking south from the parking area, standing next to a memorial for a military plane crash
looking north from the parking area, pretty mountains
Further along, I saw my first saguaros.  As far as I can remember, this was the first time I'd seen them other than in photos or paintings.  They are stunning.  The saguaro forests are incredible, acres and acres of desert with scrubby brush and saguaros sticking up all over the place.  Photos don't do it justice.
i stopped on the side of the freeway to take this shot
My next stop was the Sonoran Desert National Monument, simply because I noticed the moon rising and it seemed like it might be a good place to stretch my legs and take more pictures.
sure does look like a desert!
moon rising over the sonoran desert
My last stop before arriving at my destination was Picacho Peak - there was a gas station there and more beauty.
picacho peak
picacho peak near sunset time
Finally, after dark, I arrived.  My host/ landlord Jamie was there to welcome me, and I was able to move all my things from the car and settle in to be ready to start the next day at HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital of Tucson.
this is the house
this is my room - bathroom through the open door on the left

4 comments:

  1. You are a crazy social butterfly!You know a ton of people and cram them all in for visits in such a short period of time! I can not keep track of where you are going and when. When are you back in the Bay Area for a stint? Is it in the summer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! i had to cram them all in because for the first time in my life, i'm living in a place where i know NO ONE. i will be in the bay area all summer, arriving early june and leaving mid-august. =) hope to see you then!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing you! We can take you to some of the places Emily likes to go birding!! Or vice versa! Im sure you can show us some places to go!!

    ReplyDelete