04 December 2012

countdown - version 2012

I'm in the second week of my short term neuro rehab clinical, and it's going well.  I'm learning a lot working with brain injury and stroke patients, observing and assisting with some dramatic improvements as well as seeing some sad declines.  In the acute rehabilitation setting, we see each patient every day for an hour, or an hour and a half if they don't need speech therapy.  It's a quick route to getting to know the patient, and for the most part they've been a lot of fun.

This past Saturday, I couldn't find anyone with whom to hike due to school and other commitments, so I headed out to Stone Mountain and hiked around the base by myself.  I left my car in the free parking in Stone Mountain Village and walked the half mile to the pedestrian gate, then set out to find the trail.  I had printed out a map, and referred to it often throughout the day.
some leaves still on trees, but not much color
I left the road to hike a connector trail to the Nature Garden Trail Area, where some plants were labelled and others had signposts with no labels.  From there I took another connector to reach the Cherokee Trail, the official name of the loop around the base of the mountain.  It crossed the railroad track and the road several times, weaving through mainly oak forests, around lakes, and by the park's attractions.
pretty reflection of stone mountain in venable lake
 As I walked around the tip of a small peninsula into Stone Mountain Lake, I saw a great blue heron descend and land along the shore probably a quarter mile from me.  I kept my eye on it as I continued along the trail and got within 20 feet of it before it decided I had gotten close enough, and it flew off.  Before it took flight I snapped this photo:
great blue heron
 A little farther along was a covered bridge.  Its history is related on the sign shown below.
covered bridge originally in athens, ga
can you picture robbers sitting up there, waiting to drop on travellers?
 Immediately after the bridge, the trail followed an old stone walkway at the water's edge leading to an old grist mill (relocated from Elijay, GA).  Intermixed with the "normal" randomly shaped stones were heart-shaped stones.
not sure the origin of this, but there were 7 heart-shaped stones in this walkway
 Further around the mountain is the world's largest bas-relief sculpture, covering three acres of the face of the mountain.  It depicts Generals Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson as well as Confederate President Jefferson Davis, all on horseback.  On either side of the pool and fountains in front of the sculpture are two memorials which comprise the Stone Mountain Memorial garden, one side Honor and the other, Sacrifice.
stone mountain memorial garden - honor & sacrifice
largest bas relief sculpture in the world
 Also at this location, but so ridiculous I couldn't bring myself to photograph it (behind me as I took the above photo), is "Snow Mountain," three levels of built up slopes with man-made snow, covered with kids and parents, sledding and tubing in the 70 degree heat, to the accompaniment of loud music blasting from speakers at the base of the sculpture.

I continued on to complete the loop, and just as I prepared to exit the park, the Stone Mountain Scenic Railway train went by.  I had heard it several times during my hike, but as the trail and track crossed and diverged several times, had yet to see more than a bit of it through the trees.
1940s locomotive with open cars takes a scenic 5-mile loop around the base
I headed back to my car, having completed about 7 miles, and drove back home.  In addition to preparing for my last two finals, I have been thinking through and beginning to pack for my move back across the country - I leave in ten days!!!

2 comments:

  1. So gorgeous...is there a tour bus that i can take to take me through to see all of this without having to walk 7 miles? LOL! Can't wait to show Emily your blue heron.. hope you got out Xmas card before you leave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a road around the mountain and parking lots, as well as the tourist train (but it doesn't make stops)... =) and yep, got your Christmas card, thanks!

    ReplyDelete